Tuesday, November 29, 2005

 

Gustar and others

Sentences with gustar, when lterally translated, are passive sentences.
Passive: The car was driven by me.
Active: I drove the car.

To conjugate verbs like gustar, begin by using the pronoun for the subject.
me - I
te - you
le - he/she
nos - us/we
os - you (plural)
les - they/them

gustar = to like

Me gustan los tacos = The tacos are liked by me.
Altnernately, you can still translate it as I like the tacos.

Verbs like gustar will come in two forms when conjugated. Gustar will be either gusta or gustan.
Gusta is used if the subject is singular. Gustan is used when the subject is plural. Remember, in Me gustan los tacos, the subject is los tacos not me. This is becuase it is techincally a passive sentence.

You can use these principles with other verbs like gustar. Here they are:
encantar = to enchant
faltar = to lack
fascinar = to fascinate
molestar = to bother
interesar = to interest
quedar = to look (good/bad)
importar = to care
caer = to like

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?